If you are a high school student or a recent high school graduate aspiring to publish your research, we are accepting submissions!
How To Submit
Journal of Student Research (JSR) is a Multidisciplinary and Faculty-reviewed journal devoted to the Rapid Dissemination of current student research. The journal seeks papers that are novel, integrative, and written in a way that is accessible to a wide audience which includes an array of disciplines.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Journal Hopping is an unethical practice in academic publishing. Submitting to more than one Journal at the same time for consideration to publish is stricly Prohibited.
- The first author of the submission must be a High School Student at an accredited academic institution.
- Manuscripts are NOT ELIGIBLE for publication without a high school affiliation and a teacher/advisor contact information. Student authors must have a teacher/advisor who will guide them to submit the manuscript.
- The names and email addresses of the teacher/advisor must be listed in the contributor section by clicking the “add contributor” during Step 3 of the submission process.
- Only 5 authors including advisors are free of charge per manuscript submission. For additional author charges, see Article Processing Charge (APC) section.
- AP Research Articles
- IB Articles
- Honors Research Articles
- Research Articles
- Review Articles
- Research Projects
- Research Posters
- If you have any questions or concerns, please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Professionalism is extremely important to us. Please be courteous in all your communication with the JSR staff.
- Include the following items in the email to provide you with tailored answers:
- First and Last Name
- Name of your affiliated Institution (High School, College, or University)
- Current Grade Level, or Educational status
- How or Where did you find out about the Journal
- Your Question or Concern
To create a new account, please click on Register and follow the instructions. Once Logged in using your username and password, the portal dashboard will open where you will see the Active Submissions queue. This page lists the submissions currently in the editorial process and has access to past submissions that have been made to the journal under the "Archives" Tab. The authors can submit a new article by clicking the appropriate link for "New Submission".
The submission process for the Authors is broken down into five steps, with guidance provided at each step. Authors do not need to complete the five steps in one session but can return to what will be listed on the submissions queue as "Incomplete".
Authors must read and acknowledge that they have completed and are compliant with the requirements:
- Download the Submission Word Template (Dotx file) which will help you to get started: Template Link
- Four Levels of Headings can be used:
- Article Title: Font Bolded and Size 18
- Heading Level 1: Font Bolded and Size 14
- Heading Level 2: Size 12
- Heading Level 3: Font italicized and Size 12
- Heading Level 4: Text underlines and Size 10
- Article Title can have a maximum length of 100 characters, including spaces.
- Manuscript Abstract can have a maximum length of 250 words.
- All image files in the word document (Only PNG and JPEG are acceptable) and must be individually uploaded as "Image File" during Step 2 of the submission along with the manuscript and other supplemental files. The title must be placed under the figure/graphs/charts.
- All image files uploaded must be named appropriately such as Fig1.png, Fig2.png, etc.
- Multi-panel figures must be a single image file. Each panel must be labeled such as (1a), (1b), (1c), etc in the image; this figure must be labeled as Figure 1 and all individual panels described appropriately in the legend.
- Tables must be created in the word document. Do not insert and label an image as a table in the word document. All text color must be black, and the heading rows/columns must be shaded with light gray colors. The title must be placed over the Table.
- Equations must be created in the word document using the Insert Equation tool, and cannot be an inserted image file.
- Make use of the Bulleted and Numbered lists very minimally.
- We recommend the authors use the APA style guide for references, but you can use a discipline-specific reference style guide. References must be included at the end of the manuscript. Please leave one line spacing between each new reference and start on a new line.
- Four Levels of Headings can be used:
- Supplemental files such as images, appendix, forms, surveys, etc. must be uploaded during Step 2 of the submission process. If you are submitting an AP Research paper, the AP score must be typed in the "Comments for the Editor" textbox during Step 1 and a copy of the AP Research score should be uploaded during Step 2 of the submission process.
Indexing & Metadata
Metadata Elements to include during submission
Title: Enter the topic of the paper (100 characters with spaces).
Abstract: Summary of your research/review from Intro to conclusion
List of Contributors: Main author’s name and email address and for each additional author click on add contributor and include their names and email addresses. Include your faculty/teacher/advisor name and email address here as well.
Categories: Select a grade classification of the first author (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior).
Discipline: What area of study the paper belongs to (psychology, mathematics, microbiology, chemistry, physics, etc.) Press Enter to separate each individual item in the text box.
Keywords: Keywords give your paper additional visibility when readers are searching for similar topics. If your topic is “AI in the high school classroom setting” Your keywords should say “artificial intelligence, high school, classroom setting” Press Enter to separate each individual item in the text box.
Supporting Agencies: Write the name of your high school here along with any other institutions that supported the authors. Press Enter to separate each individual item in the text box.
References or Bibliography: Please copy and insert all the citations for the manuscript in the text-box.
Advantages of indexing
Authors are encouraged to complete the indexing of their submission in Step 3 of the Submission process and will have the opportunity to review and revise the metadata as part of the editorial process. The metadata for this journal will be "harvested" by a number of research-dedicated search engines that create, in effect, a research index or guide. Work that is well indexed will be that much more easily found by those who need it and are more likely to cite it. While there are limits to the number of terms by which a work is indexed, Authors are encouraged to think about how their work is positioned and found by virtue of this detailed indexing.
The Author(s) will be contacted by the editors with their decision once the review process is completed.
Reviewers are selected by the Editorial Staff at the Journal of Student Research and the estimated time for the review process is 12-24 weeks. JSR follows the double-blinded closed reviewing policy where the identity of the author is not revealed to the reviewer and vice versa.
Following are the items that the referees evaluate as they review the manuscript:
- Are the main claims of the paper novel? If not, please specify papers that weaken the claims to the originality of this one.
- Do the results support the claims? If not, what other evidence is required, and will this additional information improve the paper?
- Does the paper offer enough details of its methodology that its experiments or its analyses could be reproduced?
- If the paper is considered unsuitable for publication in its present form, does the study itself show sufficient potential that the authors should be encouraged to resubmit a revised version?
- Is the manuscript clearly enough written so that it is understandable to non-specialists? If not, how could it be improved?
- Have the authors cited the previous literature appropriately?
- Referees rate the Significance, Originality, Quality, and Clarity of the manuscript.
Scholarly feedback upon reviewing the manuscript by the referees will be provided to the author. This feedback will not only help authors identify areas of improvement to their submission but help them better understand the process in order to be successful at publication.
If a submission is accepted, it will then proceed to the Editing stage of the editorial process.
Resubmit for Review. If the Section Editor's decision is that the submission should be revised and then resubmitted for peer review, the Author should first indicate their willingness to undertake the revisions, using the Editor/Author Correspondence. Then, when the revisions have been completed, the Author uploads the version for the second round of reviews. The Section Editor will submit it to the same Reviewers or to one or more new Reviewers, and notify the Author when a decision has been reached in a similar manner to the initial review.
Article Processing Charge (APC)
Journal of Student Research utilizes an Open Access Model where all published articles are made freely available to anyone to read/download. We provide our authors and readers with high-quality services, such as editorial triaging of submissions, facilitating a collaborative faculty provided peer-review, plagiarism checks, quality assurance of articles, management of production services (i.e. copyediting, layout editing, and quality control checks), indexing, archiving, and long term preservation of published articles via professional preservation networks and the journal platform. To continue to provide these services the authors are required to pay the Article Processing Charge (APC).
The APC for manuscripts is paid in Two Phases (additional service fee applicable):
- Pre-review APC: USD 50 at submission.
- Post-review APC: USD 150 after an editorial decision is recorded and emailed to the authors.
Additional Author Charge:
Only 5 authors (including advisors) per submission are allowed to be included. To include any additional author/advisor to the manuscript's contributor list will cost a fee of $25 per individual. The authors will pay this fee only when accepted for publication.
FAST TRACK REVIEW
- If you are interested in the fast track review of your submitted manuscript, please contact us at [email protected] with your manuscript's submission ID
- Fast track review option allows us to expedite the publication process (4-5 weeks).
- If accepted for publication by the editorial board, the manuscript will be published in our current issue of the journal after necessary revisions are made if requested by the reviewers.
- Any fees associated with the Fast Track Review are strictly NON-REFUNDABLE.